<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, November 17, 2005

It's an International Accent ok* 

I'm feeling a little Australian today. It may have something to do with my new desk - oh yes excitement of excitements, I've moved offices. I say offices I mean crowded pits of hell - and one of my new colleagues is a fresh off the plane Aussie, complete with very.strong.accent. I can feel my affected Britishness* sliding away already. She's just said to me 'you swear like an Aussie' to which I replied 'ya fuckin' think so?'

At lunch I pootled down to the delights of Shepherd's Bush and found myself buying an 'Aussie' Pie for lunch. Quite rightly an English colleague asked what the difference was and I had no idea but the general consensus was it was 'gravier' as in had more gravy. It was very nice whatever it was.

Then Mum sent me this under the banner of a few facts about X - the small town in which she lives. It isn't, it's a generic A Few Facts about Living Somewhere Hot. Like growing up in Perth in the summer. I got a bit nostalgic for a car I could barely touch to open, a seat that ripped the skin off my legs and a steering wheel that worked perfectly fine being driven by your knees as you went 'ow ow ow' and tried to put the seat belt on.

Happy days.


You know you're living Somewhere Bloody Hot when:
The best parking space is determined by shade instead of distance.
Hot water comes out of both taps.
You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.
You discover that it only takes two fingers to steer your car.
You discover that you can get sunburnt through your car window.
You develop a fear of metal car door handles.
You break out in a sweat the instant you step outside at 6:30am.
Your biggest bicycle crash fear is, "What if I get knocked out andend up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"
You realise that asphalt has a liquid state.
While walking back barefoot to your car from the beach, you do atightrope act on the white lines in the car park.
You catch a cold from having the air conditioner full blast while yousleep during the night.

Post a Comment

Comments:
that's made me want to go and live there!
 
Don't forget to slip, slop, slap.
x
 
IMO, australian meat pies are made of mince, rather than chunks of meat. Note that it's only australians who buy the mince beef pies in the Square Pie shop.

Anyway, I think your accent is quite international.
 
Yes you're absolutely right about it being mince. Remember when they used to be more gristle than mince? They're so much nicer now. Still I do like a chunky meat pie too. I think I just like pies.
Who ate all the pies. Well yes that would be me.

As for international accents I'm like Elle and Kylie in that respect. That and the fact we go by one name. Oh yes. ;)
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?