Wednesday, October 12, 2005
Sisters in Arms
I've finally returned to The Mitford Girls after a few recent diversions and I'm loving it! What a tale. I want to meet them all. Sadly everyone is dead except Debo and being the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire and in her 80's now I'm sure the last thing she wants is some over-excited person on her doorstep demanding more details of her family.
Mind you she does apparently help to run Chatsworth, in partnership with her grandson, and I've oft promised myself a proper visit after a drive down one afternoon with my Dad and my nephew asleep in the back of the car only to discover it had closed for the day. I parked the car on the bridge and went for a little walk, having a moment if you will and vowed to come back. Preferably without an 11 year old in tow. More on that another time.
It starts with a fascinating childhood, albeit fascintating in the way I think all families are, regardless of status or wealth but it's the approach of war and the development of very strongly held ideologies in most of the family which are then played out in the real life spectre of World War 2. Added to this, access to the leaders, movers and shakers of the time is proving utterley fascinating.
As I write Tom, the sole brother, has just died in the Far East at the end of the war. Nancy has moved to Paris having just published The Pursuit of Love, Pam helps to raise Diana's children as Diana and Moseley remain in detention, Unity is recovering slowly but never completely from a failed suicide attempt, Decca lives in America with her second husband and continues to support the Communist Party whilst Debo has just given birth to the future 12th Duke of Devonshire. Parents Sydney and David live apart, Sydney supporting and moving, where possible, between daughters and David, described as a broken man, on the remote Inch Kenneth off the coast of Scotland.
Stories of these kind are compelling. There are, of course, advantages to people born of status and wealth, with access and mobility that is not obtainable for all nevertheless the intelligence and vigour that the whole family had for their respective beliefs, sets them apart from others.
I read a book like this, a tale of passion and cause and can't help but wonder of my own lack of passion and cause for anything. Apart, obviously, things like tv presenters, cheesey country stars and handsome literary heroes to name a few. To compensate, for this has clearly been on my mind, I have had the most vivid dreams, me and the Mitfords fighting/supporting England/Fascism/Germany/Communism, delete as applicable, depending on the family member. It's proving very tiring!
Clearly life in London town needs spicing up. Suggestions on a postcard please.
Mind you she does apparently help to run Chatsworth, in partnership with her grandson, and I've oft promised myself a proper visit after a drive down one afternoon with my Dad and my nephew asleep in the back of the car only to discover it had closed for the day. I parked the car on the bridge and went for a little walk, having a moment if you will and vowed to come back. Preferably without an 11 year old in tow. More on that another time.
It starts with a fascinating childhood, albeit fascintating in the way I think all families are, regardless of status or wealth but it's the approach of war and the development of very strongly held ideologies in most of the family which are then played out in the real life spectre of World War 2. Added to this, access to the leaders, movers and shakers of the time is proving utterley fascinating.
As I write Tom, the sole brother, has just died in the Far East at the end of the war. Nancy has moved to Paris having just published The Pursuit of Love, Pam helps to raise Diana's children as Diana and Moseley remain in detention, Unity is recovering slowly but never completely from a failed suicide attempt, Decca lives in America with her second husband and continues to support the Communist Party whilst Debo has just given birth to the future 12th Duke of Devonshire. Parents Sydney and David live apart, Sydney supporting and moving, where possible, between daughters and David, described as a broken man, on the remote Inch Kenneth off the coast of Scotland.
Stories of these kind are compelling. There are, of course, advantages to people born of status and wealth, with access and mobility that is not obtainable for all nevertheless the intelligence and vigour that the whole family had for their respective beliefs, sets them apart from others.
I read a book like this, a tale of passion and cause and can't help but wonder of my own lack of passion and cause for anything. Apart, obviously, things like tv presenters, cheesey country stars and handsome literary heroes to name a few. To compensate, for this has clearly been on my mind, I have had the most vivid dreams, me and the Mitfords fighting/supporting England/Fascism/Germany/Communism, delete as applicable, depending on the family member. It's proving very tiring!
Clearly life in London town needs spicing up. Suggestions on a postcard please.
Comments:
Post a Comment

