Tuesday, August 10, 2004
All Aboard
Goodness how could I have forgotten the best part of the whole trip?
The Sleeper Train aka the 'Night Riveria'
It was fabulous. We arrived at Paddington at around 11pm having gone to see Spiderman 2 - he's back dontchaknow and he's got a new nemesis - and boarded about half an hour early. We were met on the platform by a train steward and escorted to our cabin.
"Where are you travelling to tonight?" asked the steward.
"Truro" I replied.
"And what time would you like your wake up call? We usually awake passengers at Par, about half an hour before"
"That would be lovely" I was beginning to get into this lark.
"And will you prefer tea or coffee?"
"Ooh coffee please" we replied in unision.
And with that he left. And with that I pulled out my hip flask - the usual tipple; vodka and kahlua - and we sat back to watch the world by. Or rather wait for the train to depart Paddington.
It was a lovely little cabin, with everything just so. Bedside lights, night lights, a small sink and table.
We departed at 23.50 and Clare and I promptly departed for the buffet car. As sleeper passengers we were entitled to sit in the first class dining area. It was just getting better. We supped red wine and decided this was the way to travel.
Sleep wasn't too hard to come by, the rocking of the train quite soothing. I awoke at 5am and went to the toilet (details, details) and when I left the fire alarm went off. Now contrary to whatever Clare might say I had NOTHING to do with this. It was a co-incidence. No sneaky fags in the toilet - I don't even smoke anymore - no dabbling in arson, no Murder on the Night Riveria. A simple co-incidence. The stewards came running, searching the carriage and checkng the fire alarm whilst I stood rather fetchingly in a pastel striped pair of pyjamas in the corridor. A really rather hideous alarm continued to ring - and yes I realise there is a reason for that, though peculiarly no other passengers emerged - so I reverted to our room. Clare obviously awake and waited for the wailing to stop. (Honestly she can go on). It did and well we went back to sleep. Case closed.
We never did find the fire.
*hides matches*
The Sleeper Train aka the 'Night Riveria'
It was fabulous. We arrived at Paddington at around 11pm having gone to see Spiderman 2 - he's back dontchaknow and he's got a new nemesis - and boarded about half an hour early. We were met on the platform by a train steward and escorted to our cabin.
"Where are you travelling to tonight?" asked the steward.
"Truro" I replied.
"And what time would you like your wake up call? We usually awake passengers at Par, about half an hour before"
"That would be lovely" I was beginning to get into this lark.
"And will you prefer tea or coffee?"
"Ooh coffee please" we replied in unision.
And with that he left. And with that I pulled out my hip flask - the usual tipple; vodka and kahlua - and we sat back to watch the world by. Or rather wait for the train to depart Paddington.
It was a lovely little cabin, with everything just so. Bedside lights, night lights, a small sink and table.
We departed at 23.50 and Clare and I promptly departed for the buffet car. As sleeper passengers we were entitled to sit in the first class dining area. It was just getting better. We supped red wine and decided this was the way to travel.
Sleep wasn't too hard to come by, the rocking of the train quite soothing. I awoke at 5am and went to the toilet (details, details) and when I left the fire alarm went off. Now contrary to whatever Clare might say I had NOTHING to do with this. It was a co-incidence. No sneaky fags in the toilet - I don't even smoke anymore - no dabbling in arson, no Murder on the Night Riveria. A simple co-incidence. The stewards came running, searching the carriage and checkng the fire alarm whilst I stood rather fetchingly in a pastel striped pair of pyjamas in the corridor. A really rather hideous alarm continued to ring - and yes I realise there is a reason for that, though peculiarly no other passengers emerged - so I reverted to our room. Clare obviously awake and waited for the wailing to stop. (Honestly she can go on). It did and well we went back to sleep. Case closed.
We never did find the fire.
*hides matches*
Comments:
Ah yes, I meant to tell you about the first class dining experience, but figured you'd work it out for yourselves. Did you use the fetching blue pouchette thoughtfully provided by First Great Western for your bathroom use?
Calypso
xxx
Post a Comment
Calypso
xxx

