Friday, December 09, 2005
Moments of History
The oldest person in the UK has died. As usual they count up the number of presidents and monarchs that they've lived through. I figured why wait till you die? Here's my list.
Lived through one monarch....
This one is easy though I can't say I can ever recall becoming aware of her at any particular moment. She was just always there - on the stamps, on the tele and the cover of Women's Weekly. Since then there have been many queens in my life, but only one monarch.
The turn of one century
Putting aside the debate of whether it was 1999/2000 or 2000/2001 both were marked in true New Year style. The former more spectacularly than the latter. Champagne/Primrose Hill/Some snogging. Gosh last century was so much more successful than this....
9 Australian Prime Ministers
The first one I really remember is Malcolm Fraser, though mainly because I was vaguely aware of the constitutional crisis of 1975 so you should really count Gough Whitlam. This may also have been the time I became aware of the Queen. It took me a bit longer to become a republican than that though. *clutches Silver Jubliee commemorative magazine closely*
5 British Prime Ministers
It really has to be Thatcher, I was very acutely aware of her election and prime ministership from the word go but prior to that I'm sure I'd never heard of Callaghan. My knowledge thus far of my future home had consisted of On the Buses and Benny Hill. Documentaries I understand.
8 US Presidents
Jimmy Carter is the one I remember first. Something about a peanut farm.
10 Olympic Games
It's all about the Montreal games for me. Can't remember much but I do remember wanting to stay up to watch it. The curse of time zones, hemispheres and the bedtime of a 9 year old.
3 husbands of Elizabeth Taylor
Well four if you count Richard Burton twice. I remember them all, especially the one with the matching lipstick. Whatever happened to him?
Lived through one monarch....
This one is easy though I can't say I can ever recall becoming aware of her at any particular moment. She was just always there - on the stamps, on the tele and the cover of Women's Weekly. Since then there have been many queens in my life, but only one monarch.
The turn of one century
Putting aside the debate of whether it was 1999/2000 or 2000/2001 both were marked in true New Year style. The former more spectacularly than the latter. Champagne/Primrose Hill/Some snogging. Gosh last century was so much more successful than this....
9 Australian Prime Ministers
The first one I really remember is Malcolm Fraser, though mainly because I was vaguely aware of the constitutional crisis of 1975 so you should really count Gough Whitlam. This may also have been the time I became aware of the Queen. It took me a bit longer to become a republican than that though. *clutches Silver Jubliee commemorative magazine closely*
5 British Prime Ministers
It really has to be Thatcher, I was very acutely aware of her election and prime ministership from the word go but prior to that I'm sure I'd never heard of Callaghan. My knowledge thus far of my future home had consisted of On the Buses and Benny Hill. Documentaries I understand.
8 US Presidents
Jimmy Carter is the one I remember first. Something about a peanut farm.
10 Olympic Games
It's all about the Montreal games for me. Can't remember much but I do remember wanting to stay up to watch it. The curse of time zones, hemispheres and the bedtime of a 9 year old.
3 husbands of Elizabeth Taylor
Well four if you count Richard Burton twice. I remember them all, especially the one with the matching lipstick. Whatever happened to him?
Comments:
Hey girl - hope you had a great Xmas and New Year and 2006 is treating you well. Am missing your musings !! get back to it !! Luv Karina xxxx
Post a Comment


