Monday, April 10, 2006
Booty Call
First, a disclaimer. I have been as guilty as the next person of being in uncontrollable desire for a pair of shoes/item of clothing/handbag. I just want you to know that it's because I liked the item, not because "fashion" said I had to have it.
I had the misfortune to read an article in one of the glossy magazine supplements at the weekend where some half-witted woman whinged about the demise of the boot-cut jean. She blathered on for a few paragraphs about how they were the jean that suited everyone, the comfortable fit, the way they just went with everything and that now they were so horribly out of fashion in favour of the skinny leg jean. She went on to say how these *clearly* did not suit everyone, were not as comfy and required an almost complete wardrobe overhaul to match it. It finished with a plea, yes a plea, could she please wear boot-cut jeans.*
And of course my first thought was, aside from just putting her permanently out of her misery was, um just wear the jeans.
I am clearly not a dedicated follower of fashion *gives wry glance to mirror*. I don't understand the slavish desire to have the season's must have purchase be it a handbag, shoes or clothing of any description. Yes I do glance occasionally at the fashion pages in magazines. My thoughts generally go along the lines of 'oh that's nice/make a mental note to see if it might suit me; oh that's hideous/know will never buy it' then go on and do what I usually do.
I view any article about fashion as a little flag of 'hey everyone, here's some new stuff you might like' and then decide if I want to go down that path or not. I don't feel incomplete if I haven't bought that gold handbag (hideous) or stripy top (have always been a fan).
So to the woman who lamented not being allowed to wear boot-cut jeans. If there really is a world where your friends and colleagues would actually make you feel like you've committed a social faux pas for wearing the wrong kind of jean then I am sorry for you and for your complete lack of individuality and worse your complete lack of perspective on the world.
*I have remembered where I read it (Observer Woman Magazine). Turns out I lost the will to live and stopped reading half way though and she does give a call to arms to 're-name' boot cut jeans and says "Real people with real bodies could redeem them, I'm sure, if we all pulled together in a snub to the fashion pack."
Oh the irony.
These shoes for example.....
Office, size 7 if anyone wants to buy them for me.
I had the misfortune to read an article in one of the glossy magazine supplements at the weekend where some half-witted woman whinged about the demise of the boot-cut jean. She blathered on for a few paragraphs about how they were the jean that suited everyone, the comfortable fit, the way they just went with everything and that now they were so horribly out of fashion in favour of the skinny leg jean. She went on to say how these *clearly* did not suit everyone, were not as comfy and required an almost complete wardrobe overhaul to match it. It finished with a plea, yes a plea, could she please wear boot-cut jeans.*
And of course my first thought was, aside from just putting her permanently out of her misery was, um just wear the jeans.
I am clearly not a dedicated follower of fashion *gives wry glance to mirror*. I don't understand the slavish desire to have the season's must have purchase be it a handbag, shoes or clothing of any description. Yes I do glance occasionally at the fashion pages in magazines. My thoughts generally go along the lines of 'oh that's nice/make a mental note to see if it might suit me; oh that's hideous/know will never buy it' then go on and do what I usually do.
I view any article about fashion as a little flag of 'hey everyone, here's some new stuff you might like' and then decide if I want to go down that path or not. I don't feel incomplete if I haven't bought that gold handbag (hideous) or stripy top (have always been a fan).
So to the woman who lamented not being allowed to wear boot-cut jeans. If there really is a world where your friends and colleagues would actually make you feel like you've committed a social faux pas for wearing the wrong kind of jean then I am sorry for you and for your complete lack of individuality and worse your complete lack of perspective on the world.
*I have remembered where I read it (Observer Woman Magazine). Turns out I lost the will to live and stopped reading half way though and she does give a call to arms to 're-name' boot cut jeans and says "Real people with real bodies could redeem them, I'm sure, if we all pulled together in a snub to the fashion pack."
Oh the irony.
Comments:
Post a Comment