Tuesday, October 05, 2004
Candid Camera
One of the (many) things I've brought over from Australia is a collection of photographs which range from grandparent's wedding photos, obscure relatives and pictures of me when I was young. Much younger.
This one has particularly caught my eye. Look at that bright eyed happy face!
I remember it being taken. It was in our back garden in our place in Duncraig (where we were from Dec '75 until the mid-80's). I can't remember why the photo was taken but it was shortly after I'd acquired a camera and my best friend and I used to spend alot of time taking photos. Usually of ourselves in costumes we'd made. In fact, I made the dress I'm wearing. You can't see it too well, but I'd mocked it up from another I had and typically I'd made it too small. It was a bit tight and a little short. I perservered in wearing it though. Actually I might have asked Mum to take the photo for a penpal I had. Penpals were all the rage when I was a kid. I loved the idea of them, writing to folk all over the world. This is sounding so dorky now. One was in Germany, another in Scotland and one in Singapore I think. We never really developed friendships so goodness knows what happened to them or our correspondence.
That summer (the summer of '81) I would have been embarking on Year 9 in high school. I think I'd decided I wanted to be a travel agent. I think I'd quite like to even now.
I certainly wanted to travel the world and see all it had to offer. It's nice that some of our childhood dreams do come true.
This one has particularly caught my eye. Look at that bright eyed happy face!
I remember it being taken. It was in our back garden in our place in Duncraig (where we were from Dec '75 until the mid-80's). I can't remember why the photo was taken but it was shortly after I'd acquired a camera and my best friend and I used to spend alot of time taking photos. Usually of ourselves in costumes we'd made. In fact, I made the dress I'm wearing. You can't see it too well, but I'd mocked it up from another I had and typically I'd made it too small. It was a bit tight and a little short. I perservered in wearing it though. Actually I might have asked Mum to take the photo for a penpal I had. Penpals were all the rage when I was a kid. I loved the idea of them, writing to folk all over the world. This is sounding so dorky now. One was in Germany, another in Scotland and one in Singapore I think. We never really developed friendships so goodness knows what happened to them or our correspondence.
That summer (the summer of '81) I would have been embarking on Year 9 in high school. I think I'd decided I wanted to be a travel agent. I think I'd quite like to even now.
I certainly wanted to travel the world and see all it had to offer. It's nice that some of our childhood dreams do come true.
Comments:
Post a Comment