<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, April 20, 2007

Gilbert & George 

I've just watched Gilbert & George on The Jonathan Ross Show. I saw their exhibition last weekend. I walked in and was completely blown away, I thought it was amazing. Their early work, the written postcards, the pure black and white photos were phenomenal. I started to write text messages to friends telling them to see it. Then oddly I got less enthused. The more colourful, literal and physical it became the less I liked it. I had to stop and have a cup of tea (further proof of how English I have become) before I could continue with the exhibition. There was a subtlety and even naiveity of their earlier work that by the time you got to the huge explosions of subject and colour I was overwhelmed. I ended up having enjoyed it, delighted I'd seen the earlier works but less enamoured overall.

That is until I saw them on The Jonathan Ross Show and it reminded me that what I liked about them wasn't their 'artisitic' output but them, the concept, the living sculpture and the whole mantra of 'art for all'. And then I was a fan again.

The fact they're East End Iconics is a bonus.

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?