Monday, September 18, 2006
G'day
There are somethings that, try as I might deny it, will always give me away as being Australian.
One is pub rock and I guess also soft rock. Two staples of the Aussie music scene - at least when I grew up. The less said the better but even though I avoided it fairly strenously I can, to this day, sing along without even knowing how I know the words to some of the genre's worse excesses. Worse still is when I start doing the actions. But that's a different story.
The second is sport. Having an avid sports fan and player in a father doesn't help matters when you're confronted with a nation of sports fanatics. Now as it happens I can't play sport to save my life, well apart from golf and many would deny that as a sport, but I can watch it. Any kind. And for long periods of time. Quite happily.
You can imagine my delight then when I realised I could download the superb Roy & HG's This Sporting Life as a podcast. Two hours of utter nonsense about sport and sportspeople. I have no idea who they're talking about most of the time but any show that can still manage to talk Paris Hilton as a role model for kids with her alleged drink driving in between analysis of the NRL and AFL and still make me laugh is genius.
One is pub rock and I guess also soft rock. Two staples of the Aussie music scene - at least when I grew up. The less said the better but even though I avoided it fairly strenously I can, to this day, sing along without even knowing how I know the words to some of the genre's worse excesses. Worse still is when I start doing the actions. But that's a different story.
The second is sport. Having an avid sports fan and player in a father doesn't help matters when you're confronted with a nation of sports fanatics. Now as it happens I can't play sport to save my life, well apart from golf and many would deny that as a sport, but I can watch it. Any kind. And for long periods of time. Quite happily.
You can imagine my delight then when I realised I could download the superb Roy & HG's This Sporting Life as a podcast. Two hours of utter nonsense about sport and sportspeople. I have no idea who they're talking about most of the time but any show that can still manage to talk Paris Hilton as a role model for kids with her alleged drink driving in between analysis of the NRL and AFL and still make me laugh is genius.
Comments:
Post a Comment