Tuesday, October 11, 2005
Please Sir, Can I have some More4?
So after much anticipation the eagerly awaited More4 arrived on our screens last night. It was the channel that finally prompted me into buying a Freeview box. Interestingly even though I had it fired up and ready to go for over a week not a single programme had enticed me to watch anything on Freeview until I saw an episode of Ellen on Sunday. 1/2 an hour of tv for £50. Value for money? Not yet at any rate.
Come 8pm I switched over, I don't think I've ever seen a channel launch so was curious to see the level of fireworks (none), mistakes (none - how dull) and general fanfare (very disappointing) it would attract. A black screen, another repeat of the promo for the kazillionth time and a v/o welcoming us to More4 and straight to the news. Really quite understated. I stayed for a few mins then went back to watching Waking the Dead from Sunday night.
However when I flicked back over a bit later The Daily Show was on. Now this interested me and did make me laugh, well until the infuriating hysterics from the studio audience put me off. Yes it's funny but it's not *that* funny and just because a show spends its time showing what a scary place the Bush administration is, it doesn't need raptuous applause and whooping every sentence. I longed for the much subtler and appreciative tones of say, Have I got News For You, that also rips the shit out of public figures but doesn't have a cheering audience.
Which if you're not a fan would be confirmation in itself.
Come 8pm I switched over, I don't think I've ever seen a channel launch so was curious to see the level of fireworks (none), mistakes (none - how dull) and general fanfare (very disappointing) it would attract. A black screen, another repeat of the promo for the kazillionth time and a v/o welcoming us to More4 and straight to the news. Really quite understated. I stayed for a few mins then went back to watching Waking the Dead from Sunday night.
However when I flicked back over a bit later The Daily Show was on. Now this interested me and did make me laugh, well until the infuriating hysterics from the studio audience put me off. Yes it's funny but it's not *that* funny and just because a show spends its time showing what a scary place the Bush administration is, it doesn't need raptuous applause and whooping every sentence. I longed for the much subtler and appreciative tones of say, Have I got News For You, that also rips the shit out of public figures but doesn't have a cheering audience.
Which if you're not a fan would be confirmation in itself.
Comments:
Post a Comment