Thursday, April 15, 2004
I've quite a lot to post and most if it, I'm sure, won't be interesting. But here goes:
On Tuesday morning we took off for the Bungle Bungles. This involved me behind the wheel for the first part of the journey for approximately 200kms. At this point (film reference ahead) I'm thinking Thelma & Louise. I'm Louise. On the IJ I've got The Ballad of Lucy Jordan. Luckily Mum & Glenn drove the rest of the way.
After 250+kms we arrive. The campsite is fine, out in the middle of nowhere - natch. We decide to stay by the site rather than do a walk/trek/walkabout instead. Bed by 8.30, awake by 5.30. Slept rather well.
Our first stop is the Echinda Chasm. I confuse Chasm with Gorge and am surprised when we end up at a dead end. Next stop Catherdral Gorge. I say next stop, I mean 20km drive over bumpy road. And speaking of bumpy road, I haven't even mentioned the drive into the Bungle Bungle from the main highway ...... 53kms and 2.5hours, each way. It was hideous.
Echidna Chasm is rather wonderful in a red, tall, narrow, Indiana Jones kind of way. I.e. it starts marvellously, ends in a small circle and has obstacles galore along the way (huge rocks you have to clamber over) and all the while you're thinking you're Leia in Star Wars, and whilst obviously I am..... the walls are closing in - it gets very narrow to less than arms length. It's bloody hot too.
Cathedral Gorge starts in what looks like the Bungle Bungles and ends up a fabulous red faced cliff. An easy walk. Marvellous.
Leaving the Bungle Bungles we decide to go to Halls Creek. It's another 100+ km's down from the turn off. By this stage I'm tired, I've got big dry dusty hair and I'm ready for a beer. We stop off at the local offy then to the Halls Creek Caravan Park and here, dear friend, I write something I did not expect I'd say on this trip....
Sleb Spot. Yes right in front of me is TV's Andrew Lincoln checking in with a mystery Brunette. I kid you not. He checked in under his real name. I pray he shows up at the pool later, he doesn't.
Seriously it's him, I'm still a bit spun out about it. Feel free to post on our favourite; Angelene; Shoegazer; HelloKitty..........
And so we leave the next day- via Old Halls Creek and China Wall and back to Kununurra. I am amazed by the scenery. It's red, it's green, it's barren, it's lush. It is less of what you expect and yet so very familiar. The hills range from little turrets with a tree atop to great escarpments covered in greenery to vast expanses of spinifex & shrubbery. Did decide, however, that the eucalypt is one of my favourite trees.
Famous people I have dreamt about recently:
Catherine Zeta Jones
John Travolta
Phil Spencer
Go figure.
I've watched very little television thus far but mother did kindly tape me the Jacqueline Onassis story with the rather marvellous Joanne Whalley. She's been in some dodgy films and telemovies and of course played Scarlett in the so bad yet fabulous sequel to Gone with the Wind and, I think, pulling it off (yes dear) this therefore wins a place in my heart.
Right the kids, I'm tired, I'm probably a little drunk. I hope you all are too..
Thank you to the lovely folk who have emailed. And indeed to all the lovely folk who take the time to read this.
Adriana of the Outback
xxx
On Tuesday morning we took off for the Bungle Bungles. This involved me behind the wheel for the first part of the journey for approximately 200kms. At this point (film reference ahead) I'm thinking Thelma & Louise. I'm Louise. On the IJ I've got The Ballad of Lucy Jordan. Luckily Mum & Glenn drove the rest of the way.
After 250+kms we arrive. The campsite is fine, out in the middle of nowhere - natch. We decide to stay by the site rather than do a walk/trek/walkabout instead. Bed by 8.30, awake by 5.30. Slept rather well.
Our first stop is the Echinda Chasm. I confuse Chasm with Gorge and am surprised when we end up at a dead end. Next stop Catherdral Gorge. I say next stop, I mean 20km drive over bumpy road. And speaking of bumpy road, I haven't even mentioned the drive into the Bungle Bungle from the main highway ...... 53kms and 2.5hours, each way. It was hideous.
Echidna Chasm is rather wonderful in a red, tall, narrow, Indiana Jones kind of way. I.e. it starts marvellously, ends in a small circle and has obstacles galore along the way (huge rocks you have to clamber over) and all the while you're thinking you're Leia in Star Wars, and whilst obviously I am..... the walls are closing in - it gets very narrow to less than arms length. It's bloody hot too.
Cathedral Gorge starts in what looks like the Bungle Bungles and ends up a fabulous red faced cliff. An easy walk. Marvellous.
Leaving the Bungle Bungles we decide to go to Halls Creek. It's another 100+ km's down from the turn off. By this stage I'm tired, I've got big dry dusty hair and I'm ready for a beer. We stop off at the local offy then to the Halls Creek Caravan Park and here, dear friend, I write something I did not expect I'd say on this trip....
Sleb Spot. Yes right in front of me is TV's Andrew Lincoln checking in with a mystery Brunette. I kid you not. He checked in under his real name. I pray he shows up at the pool later, he doesn't.
Seriously it's him, I'm still a bit spun out about it. Feel free to post on our favourite; Angelene; Shoegazer; HelloKitty..........
And so we leave the next day- via Old Halls Creek and China Wall and back to Kununurra. I am amazed by the scenery. It's red, it's green, it's barren, it's lush. It is less of what you expect and yet so very familiar. The hills range from little turrets with a tree atop to great escarpments covered in greenery to vast expanses of spinifex & shrubbery. Did decide, however, that the eucalypt is one of my favourite trees.
Famous people I have dreamt about recently:
Catherine Zeta Jones
John Travolta
Phil Spencer
Go figure.
I've watched very little television thus far but mother did kindly tape me the Jacqueline Onassis story with the rather marvellous Joanne Whalley. She's been in some dodgy films and telemovies and of course played Scarlett in the so bad yet fabulous sequel to Gone with the Wind and, I think, pulling it off (yes dear) this therefore wins a place in my heart.
Right the kids, I'm tired, I'm probably a little drunk. I hope you all are too..
Thank you to the lovely folk who have emailed. And indeed to all the lovely folk who take the time to read this.
Adriana of the Outback
xxx
Comments:
Post a Comment