<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Body 

I've been so rubbish with this since I made it private. It's not that I haven't done anything, quite the contrary and it's not that I didn't have much to say, I guess I got so used to not looking at it I forgot about it. But I do miss it, the writing at any rate. So I've vowed I'm going to contribute with a bit more frequency.

Starting now. Pam Ros and I went to the Anthony Gormly exhibition today. Leaving it as usual to the last minute but remembering and taking advantage of the 'free entry' for BBC staff. If we're honest we know it's for journalists only but they don't seem to check so we just show our passes and we're in. This exhibition, however, I would have gladly paid for.

Over the past few months around Southbank statues of AG have dotted the landscape, all looking towards the Hayward, all precairously balanced like jumpers, causing apparently concerned citizens to call in. They've proved to be entertaining to look out for and as the exhibition programme explained caused us, the viewer, to point out the statues in our own 'statue' like fashion. *pulls regal pose*.

Weirdly it reminded me of the Gilbert & George exhibition. Both artists are about the body, the physical being and our relation with it and our bodies reaction to environment. And it's this latter part that we can all relate to, and what we recognise and understand. I don't profess to begin to completely understand what was on display but I know I enjoyed it and I enjoy art that is physical in a way that we can partipcate in it (and as Ros said, 'not in a push the button' way), be it and become it.

In other recent news I finally (yes finally) bought a bike. It's great. I have canabalised parts from the trusty Raleigh that will now go onto Ebay for scrap or servicing. Right now my flat is a mess of spectacular proportions, due mainly to my current mania of 'sorting the flat out'. It's coming together at last.

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?