Saturday, January 06, 2007
Message in a Bottle
*Waves from Down Under*
Finally to a computer and I don't have much to say other than I am starting to relax into this little holiday quite well. It's imperative you have a car (check), decent weather (check) and people to visit (check).
Actually the weather went crap the other day and I wandered about with a jumper on, in the MIDDLE of January, which wasn't right at all. Today it got sunny and warmer again so I took myself down the beach in the world's crappest hire car and sat down and read my book for an hour and a half which was blissful. I also behaved like a true pom and didn't put sunscreen on. But I appear not to be burnt. Which is good.
It is rather fun having a car, even if it is the world's crappest hire car. The streets are virtually empty (compared to London at any rate), everything seems to be less than about 15 minutes away which means unlike London you can still be lolling about in bed at 6.15 for a 7.00 pm dinner date. Result.
The city hasn't changed much, but the suburbs continue to expand and the shopping centres are enormous. As a part of my pottering about today I found myself inexplicably at the local shops - now 30% bigger for your convenience - where of course I spent $60 on tat. No matter how hard you try you really do fall into holiday shopping mode and buy things you will never wear back home. Still look out for chunky braclets, lacy pants* and colourful belts.
I'm off to Sydney on Monday night for three and a half days which I'm very much looking forward to. Shopping mainly but I might try to find myself on Bondi, if only because I've never actually swam there. Like Stonehenge it's smaller than you think.
Which co-incidentally is what I am after almost two weeks of hardly drinking.
*i don't anticpate these will be on show however.
Finally to a computer and I don't have much to say other than I am starting to relax into this little holiday quite well. It's imperative you have a car (check), decent weather (check) and people to visit (check).
Actually the weather went crap the other day and I wandered about with a jumper on, in the MIDDLE of January, which wasn't right at all. Today it got sunny and warmer again so I took myself down the beach in the world's crappest hire car and sat down and read my book for an hour and a half which was blissful. I also behaved like a true pom and didn't put sunscreen on. But I appear not to be burnt. Which is good.
It is rather fun having a car, even if it is the world's crappest hire car. The streets are virtually empty (compared to London at any rate), everything seems to be less than about 15 minutes away which means unlike London you can still be lolling about in bed at 6.15 for a 7.00 pm dinner date. Result.
The city hasn't changed much, but the suburbs continue to expand and the shopping centres are enormous. As a part of my pottering about today I found myself inexplicably at the local shops - now 30% bigger for your convenience - where of course I spent $60 on tat. No matter how hard you try you really do fall into holiday shopping mode and buy things you will never wear back home. Still look out for chunky braclets, lacy pants* and colourful belts.
I'm off to Sydney on Monday night for three and a half days which I'm very much looking forward to. Shopping mainly but I might try to find myself on Bondi, if only because I've never actually swam there. Like Stonehenge it's smaller than you think.
Which co-incidentally is what I am after almost two weeks of hardly drinking.
*i don't anticpate these will be on show however.
Comments:
Life's a beach eh! I am trez jealous. I wouldn't mind if we were even having a proper winter. It's still hot! And raining. Come back soon.
Well I figure if I'm here I may as well go!
Oh that's a bore about the weather at home but then at least I'm not jealous it's proper winter and there is some snow.
See you soon. x
Post a Comment
Oh that's a bore about the weather at home but then at least I'm not jealous it's proper winter and there is some snow.
See you soon. x
