Thursday, February 24, 2005
I'm not Scared
When I went back packing in the olden days, I used to keep a journal. It's a funny old thing to re-read now, slightly embarassing - obviously - but worth it just to recall some of the places and things I'd seen and done and what i'd thought of them. The golden rule with the journal though was never to write in advance of something you were planning to do. Inevitably you never did it.
Which is something that I have been reminded of here in blogland - I didn't go and see Sideways last night - jinxed no doubt by the blog. On the way, there was an altercation on the tube at Mile End, ambulances were apparently called and subsequently my journey was sufficiently delayed to stop me going to the cinema. Bah humbug.
I think I have been thwarted often enough to say that I am going to have give up on both Sideways and Vera Drake for the time being and l shall instead look forward to something else.
The upshot was that instead I watched most of Bowling for Columbine. A film I have seen before but thought worth a revisit. The culture of fear, which is the main argument for the level of violence in the US and to a lesser degree the rest of the world, that is being promoted is in itself scary. Made none the less so by me switching off and seeing a news bulletin scaremongering over the recent food scare (a preventative measure rather than actual life-threatening situation). It's happening more and more often and that is scary.
What wasn't scary as such but was fascinating was watching Jamie Oliver do his thing with the school dinners. I was hooked. Whatever you migh think of the guy, his intentions seem genuine and he's determined to get it right. Nora is quite a character and it was a great tragedy to watch so many children scoffing chips for the vast majority of their meals. My lunches at school consisted primarily of sandwiches or pies (such an Australian!). Chips not quite the national cuisine they are here. Though as most people know I am not a chip fan.
And so further down the televisual agenda we come to Desperate Housewives. It was a cracker of an episode that finally turned a corner, showing them to be caring friends, concerned neighbours and at last some further developments on the why Mary Alice killed herself storyline. You've got to ask yourself though Mike Delfino is a pretty rubbish undercover investigator. He's been there months and has found out nothing at all, the eponymous housewives and the widower are making more progress by good fortune than investigative skill.
It's still quite a bit of nonsense but there are some good things going on. If they can nail the high camp with the high drama well, I'm going to be rather impressed. I think however I'll be just feasting on my small tidbits of drama and enjoying the shallowness of it all instead.
Oh and there was much less Mary Alice voice over, hoofuckingray.
Which is something that I have been reminded of here in blogland - I didn't go and see Sideways last night - jinxed no doubt by the blog. On the way, there was an altercation on the tube at Mile End, ambulances were apparently called and subsequently my journey was sufficiently delayed to stop me going to the cinema. Bah humbug.
I think I have been thwarted often enough to say that I am going to have give up on both Sideways and Vera Drake for the time being and l shall instead look forward to something else.
The upshot was that instead I watched most of Bowling for Columbine. A film I have seen before but thought worth a revisit. The culture of fear, which is the main argument for the level of violence in the US and to a lesser degree the rest of the world, that is being promoted is in itself scary. Made none the less so by me switching off and seeing a news bulletin scaremongering over the recent food scare (a preventative measure rather than actual life-threatening situation). It's happening more and more often and that is scary.
What wasn't scary as such but was fascinating was watching Jamie Oliver do his thing with the school dinners. I was hooked. Whatever you migh think of the guy, his intentions seem genuine and he's determined to get it right. Nora is quite a character and it was a great tragedy to watch so many children scoffing chips for the vast majority of their meals. My lunches at school consisted primarily of sandwiches or pies (such an Australian!). Chips not quite the national cuisine they are here. Though as most people know I am not a chip fan.
And so further down the televisual agenda we come to Desperate Housewives. It was a cracker of an episode that finally turned a corner, showing them to be caring friends, concerned neighbours and at last some further developments on the why Mary Alice killed herself storyline. You've got to ask yourself though Mike Delfino is a pretty rubbish undercover investigator. He's been there months and has found out nothing at all, the eponymous housewives and the widower are making more progress by good fortune than investigative skill.
It's still quite a bit of nonsense but there are some good things going on. If they can nail the high camp with the high drama well, I'm going to be rather impressed. I think however I'll be just feasting on my small tidbits of drama and enjoying the shallowness of it all instead.
Oh and there was much less Mary Alice voice over, hoofuckingray.
Comments:
Post a Comment